So last week I had a blast throwing myself a pity party. I was missing my family (both sides!) and wishing we were back in Utah/Idaho. I started feeling like it was going to be a long, lonely 4 years with Brad gone all day and a neighborhood full of strangers. Then at church last Sunday I was sitting alone and feeling sorry for myself when a nice gal came and sat by me and we started talking. Thank you Holly!! She snapped me out of my pity party and reminded me how EASY it is to get to know people. All it takes is a hello, what's your name and what's your story. Boom! Friends.
So now I'm on a mission - Operation Unite My Neighborhood. In speaking to the few neighbors that I've met, I've found that no one here really knows each other. And that just won't do. It seems that a neighborhood that knows each other is typically safer and more comfortable. So here's the plan, and please feel free to leave comments with any suggestions of how to make my plan better:
For starters, I'm going to invite the homes surrounding us over. Just a little meet-n-greet. I'm planning to do this maybe this Saturday.
Next, I'm going to invite the entire housing division to the park for a neighborhood picnic. I'm thinking about doing that next Saturday afternoon. I'm thinking about having some copies printed up of the housing division so that people can have a visual while they're explaining to each other where they live. I'm also thinking about having some sign-up sheets to start a book club, exercise group, neighborhood directory, etc. I've also considered making this get-together a monthly thing. It shouldn't take too much work to do - just a reservation at the park and each family brings a picnic for their own family. What do you think?
And what else can I do to unite my neighborhood? It just feels so sterile here and so impersonal. I want it to be a warm, friendly environment where everyone knows and loves each other. Your suggestions are appreciated!!
You are so awesome!
ReplyDeleteI wish I lived in your neighborhood!! Our neighborhood is pretty similar to yours. Everyone keeps to themselves and it makes me sad! Be sure to keep posting about how it goes! Good luck!
ReplyDelete